MyDataHelps can collect certain sensor data from a participant's device, providing:
- The project has enabled sensor data collection.
- The data is available on the device (e.g., not all devices have heart rate or blood pressure tracking).
- The participant has allowed the data to be shared with MyDataHelps.
MyDataHelps can collect sensor data from various sources:
If the project is collecting one or more data types from Apple Health, the participant will be prompted on enrollment to approve of sharing their Apple Health Data. They can select which data types they would like to share with the project.
If a user wishes to view or change their selections later, they will need to adjust the privacy settings within Apple Health. The specific steps may vary by device and version, but generally:
- Open the Apple Health app.
- Select the account settings.
- Select "App" in the "Privacy" section.
- Select "MyDataHelps."
- Enable or disable permissions for the app.
Apple Location Tracking
If the project is collecting Apple Location data, the participant will be prompted on enrollment to allow the app to track their location.
The user must select "Always Allow" in order for MyDataHelps to receive any location data. If Location Services are disabled entirely, you will not be able to access specific settings for MyDataHelps and it will not be able to access location data.
If the user wishes to view or change their selections later, they will need to adjust the permissions in the Apple privacy settings. The specific steps may vary by device and version, but generally:
- Open the Settings app on their device.
- Select "Privacy."
- Select "Location Services."
- Select "MyDataHelps."
- Choose "Always" to allow MyDataHelps to access location data.
If a project is collecting Google Fit data, the participant will be prompted on enrollment to approve of sharing their sensor data. They can elect to share some, all, or none of the requested data, and will be prompted to select which account they want to use.
If the user wishes to view or change their selections later, they will need to:
- Open MyDataHelps on their device.
- Go to the "Account" tab.
- Select "Google Fit" and adjust the settings.
It is possible to obtain sensor data from participants with Fitbit devices, providing:
- Your project has requested Fitbit data collection.
- The participant has linked their Fitbit and MyDataHelps accounts.
You do not need to enable specific fields in the project’s “Sensor Data” settings. The specific data available will depend on the participant's device capabilities and what data they have elected to share with MyDataHelps.